Get Your Schnitzel Girl Weekly Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox!
We’re always cooking something good, whether its Old World, New World, or out of this World! Please subscribe and don’t miss a single recipe!
The Piedmont region of Italy is beautiful. This could be said about most regions in Italy. The regional cuisine is wonderful, and full of the flavors of locally grown fruits, vegetables and dairy products. This also could be said about most regions in Italy. Bottom line, I love Italian cuisine! This “pie” is simple to make and so delicious, serve it with Italian sausages or hearty meatballs on the side, or go crazy and do a piece of filet mignon with it for company! I’ll just eat the whole pie myself thank you!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves thinly sliced garlic (see notes regarding substitutes)
- 2 large zucchini, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano (or parmesan)
- 2/3 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbl butter
- 4–6 Tb bread crumbs
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Turn heat down, add garlic and saute until golden, just a few minutes.
- Add onion and zucchini and saute, stiring occasionally until cooked through and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a bowl, let cool. Stir in cheeses, parsley, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10 inch pie plate with butter; coat with the bread crumbs. Spread the zucchini cheese mixture over the the bread crumb base.
- Bake until golden on top and slightly puffed, about 45 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
I sadly didn’t have any fresh garlic cloves on hand, so I used a tube of chunky fresh garlic that was in the frig, parked there for just such an emergency. It didn’t hurt the results at all. Rave reviews on this recipe!
- Category: side dish
- Method: saute and bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegetable pie, vegetables, zucchini, onions, zucchini & onion, zucchini pie, onion pie, zucchini and onion pie, Italian, ricotta, ricotta pie, zucchini onion and ricotta pie
I’ve always loved cooking, and spent many years working on the food & beverage side of the hospitality industry, which served to increase my interest in food, wine and entertaining.