This is just good simple food, and you probably have everything you need at the tips of your fingers, starting with a package of ground beef. Substitutions and additions are always allowed! This and a salad make a complete, simple but satisfying meal.
- 1 lb ground beef or ground chuck
- 1 jar pasta sauce of your choice
- 6–8 oz. pasta (elbow macaroni, ditalini, or shape of your choice)
- 1 TBl Italian Seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder (or 3 cloves garlic,chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6–8 oz grated Cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Place ground beef in a skillet. Add Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Brown the mixture thoroughly
- Add pasta and jar of pasta sauce, mix well and heat through
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the mixture, cover and set heat to low, allowing the cheese to melt.
You can make so many variations of this simple dish. I have seen this called “goulash” and I vehemently object to that term being used here. After all, I am Schnitzel Girl! Goulash is a Hungarian dish, a stew of sorts that always contains Paprika (a recipe can be found on my Blog). This is not goulash, but it is a simple tasty meal.
The photo shows that I used mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, which probably wasn’t the best choice, as the mozz cheese is harder to dish out (stringy). It is OK to use Italian seasoning and Cheddar cheese! I added cheddar cheese to my leftovers and it was great.
I had some chopped tomatoes, so I threw those in. You could also add sliced mushrooms (jarred or raw). I found a few slices of pepperoni that weren’t enough to make pizza with, so I chopped those and threw them in as well. We enjoyed our simple meal, then enjoyed the leftovers for lunch the next day!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: beef, main dishes, pasta & pasta sauces, comfort food, pantry friendly
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: comfort food, beef, ground beef, one dish meal, pasta, pantry friendly