Fresh ingredients, easy to make if you don’t mind a little bit of chopping, and a delicious result. A perfect warm weather meal! I had a zucchini and a carton of fresh button mushrooms calling my name when I opened the refrigerator. I always have shrimp on hand in the freezer, and love that it thaws so quickly. So, a recipe was born! Just add rice!
- Shrimp, shelled, deveined (use large or medium large size shrimp)
- 6 oz. fresh mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste (I used 1 tsp of each)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar and jack)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 TB vegetable or olive oil (I used half veg, half olive)
- Chop, chop, chop – halve the mushroom caps, peel and slice the zucchini into rounds, and chop the onion coarsely. OK the hard part is over.
- Add the oil to a medium/large saute pan, set on medium heat. Add the mushrooms, zucchini, and onions, and saute for about five minutes. Add the italian seasoning and the basil and saute a bit longer, making sure that the seasonings are tossed well.
- Add the shrimp, nestling them in the veggies. After about two minutes, flip the shrimp and nestle in there once again, cooking for about another two minutes. The shrimp should be pink on both sides.
- Spread the cheese over the top of the delightful mixture and allow to melt. You can cover the pan for a minute to speed up the melting process. You’re Done!
- Serve alone, over rice, or angel hair pasta, or orzo.
Shrimp is sold by size. 16-20 means 16 to 20 shrimp per pound. The most common size is 26-30. Yes, that would be 26-30 shrimp per pound.
You can use portabello mushrooms instead of button mushrooms, and most any shredded cheese you have on hand. No dried basil? No worries, there is some basil in the italian seasoning, just use a little bit more.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: main course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shrimp, saute, zucchini, mushrooms, easy, simple