This is a delicious, quick to fix weeknight dinner for two – just double if there are four of you! I found frozen peas waiting for a use, and I always have frozen cleaned and deveined shrimp in the freezer in case of a dinner emergency. A bottle of white wine, maybe a salad if you have time, and a great dinner is born!
- 10–12 large shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1/3 cup white rice (jasmine or basmati preferred)
- 1 cup frozen peas, feel free to vary the amount
- 1 tsp minced garlic (jarred makes life easy)
- approx 1 tbl light olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1 or 2 pats of butter
- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt for the rice
- Black pepper to taste for the shrimp
- Combine rice with 2/3 cup water, the salt and the butter in a small saucepan. Heat to a boil, turn heat down to a simmer, add the frozen peas and cover. Rice should simmer/steam for 15 minutes. Keep an eye on it as the bubbles may rise. If this happens, remove the cover and then re-cover. Once done, remove from heat and leave covered.
- In a medium saute pan, heat the olive oil, add the garlic and let the garlic sweat for a minute.
- Add the shrimp. After about two or three minutes, flip the shrimp. Sprinkle pepper to taste on the shrimp. After about another two to three minutes the shrimp should be done. (Optional – add a little butter to the pan if calories are not an issue!)
- Uncover the rice, dish about 1/3 to 1/2 in two shallow bowls. Divide the shrimp with the garlic between the two bowls.
This really was super simple and super delicious! If you use salted butter, take that into consideration when adding the salt to the rice. Please let me know if you try this dish!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: main course
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: shrimp, rice, peas, quick, gluten free