Get Your Schnitzel Girl Weekly Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox!
We’re always cooking something good, whether its Old World, New World, or out of this World! Please subscribe and don’t miss a single recipe!
Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
So easy, and so delicious, a great way to use leftover corn, or just open a can if you don’t have any leftovers. You can also use thawed frozen corn. I’ve always got shrimp in the freezer, and it thaws quickly, so this makes a quick weeknight meal.
- 2 ears shucked leftover cooked corn, or one small can corn (drained), or 1/2 bag frozen corn, thawed and drained
- 4 Tbl butter (NOT margarine)
- 2/3 cup chopped yellow or sweet onions (frozen thawed is ok)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 3 – 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 baby potatoes (red or yukon), cubed OR 1 can potatoes, sliced or cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 10–12 medium peeled & cleaned shrimp (26-30’s are good)
- 4 tbl heavy cream
- Chopped chives or parsley for garnish, optional
- Because shrimp cook quickly, I chose to boil the potatoes in a separate pan for 10-15 minutes. If you use the canned potatoes, no need for this step.
- Melt butter in a medium/large saucepan until melted. Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent. Add garlic powder.
- Stir in chicken broth, corn, potatoes, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cook, stirring occasionally for about five minutes.
- Add the shrimp and continue to cook on medium low for 1-2 minutes. Add cream. Allow to cook for one more minute.
- Dish out into bowls and garnish with chives or parsley if desired. Voila!
You can substitute a jar of clam juice for part of the chicken broth if you’d like.
If you like a richer chowder, feel free to add more heavy cream. Just don’t let it boil.
You can also garnish this little gem with a few diced tomatoes for more color.
This is great served with a salad and a crusty roll. I’m getting hungry 🙂
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Soups & Stews
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chowder, quick and easy, shrimp, corn, shrimp and corn chowder, corn chowder, shrimp chowder
I’ve always loved cooking, and spent many years working on the food & beverage side of the hospitality industry, which served to increase my interest in food, wine and entertaining.