Yes, Mom made some yummy stuff, even though she was not as enthusiastic about cooking as Dad and I. This easy recipe is one of her staples. I am a spinach lover and not only is this easy, it can serve as a base for many variations.
- Two packages frozen spinach, chopped
- 8 tbls (1 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- grated or shaved parmesan cheese
- Boil spinach according to package directions, drain.
- Melt the butter, add the flour, and cook on medium low heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly until you have a thick white sauce. The sauce should just barely stick to the spoon.
- Add spinach, combine, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the parmesan cheese.
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar or velveeta cheese to the cream sauce. Yum!
- Top with toasted pine nuts
- Add 1/2 tsp nutmeg to cream sauce