Get Your Schnitzel Girl Weekly Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox!
We’re always cooking something good, whether its Old World, New World, or out of this World! Please subscribe and don’t miss a single recipe!
Mom’s Creamed Spinach
Yes, Mom made some yummy stuff, even though she was not as enthusiastic about cooking as Dad and I. This easy recipe is one of her staples. I am a spinach lover and not only is this easy, it can serve as a base for many variations.
- Two packages frozen spinach, chopped
- 8 tbls (1 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- grated or shaved parmesan cheese
- Boil spinach according to package directions, drain.
- Melt the butter, add the flour, and cook on medium low heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly until you have a thick white sauce. The sauce should just barely stick to the spoon.
- Add spinach, combine, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the parmesan cheese.
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar or velveeta cheese to the cream sauce. Yum!
- Top with toasted pine nuts
- Add 1/2 tsp nutmeg to cream sauce
I’ve always loved cooking, and spent many years working on the food & beverage side of the hospitality industry, which served to increase my interest in food, wine and entertaining.
I’m so glad to have a great recipe for creamed spinach, Liz – I love creamed spinach. This one sounds (and looks) really yummy and I love that I can use frozen spinach (let’s make this as easy as possible). When I see a recipe with 27 ingredients, I’m immediately turned off. This one is perfect and I can’t wait to try it!
Thanks Ruth! I’ll be updating the recipe soon with some options for variations, such as adding pine nuts, cheddar cheese….stay tuned!