Get Your Schnitzel Girl Weekly Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox!
We’re always cooking something good, whether its Old World, New World, or out of this World! Please subscribe and don’t miss a single recipe!
Filet Mignon Elegante
- Total Time: 38 minute
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
This is the perfect dish for a dinner that you’d like to be a little more special. It is not difficult to make, you just have to plan ahead in order to let the filet marinate overnight. In a pinch, you can skip this step and still have a delicious meal, but the meat is even better when its been exposed to the marinade for 24 hours. Give it a try, you won’t be sorry! No need to buy prime, choice filets will work just fine. Spend the money you saved on a bold bottle of red wine!
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 3 Tbl lemon juice
- 3 Tbl snipped chives
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestshire sauce
- 1.25 lbs Filet Mignon (2 filets, approx 3 inches thick)
- 4 tbl butter
- 1 8 oz package button or portabella mushrooms, sliced
- Combine wine, brandy, lemon juice, chives, salt, pepper and worcestshire sauce. Place meat in freezer bag and pour marinade over it. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 24 hours, turning the bag occasionally as it marinates.
- When the meat is done marinatiing, remove it from the bag and pour the marinade in a saute pan (the mushrooms will be going into the same pan).
- Spray a grill pan with canola spray and heat to high. Sear the filets briefly on both sides. Remove from heat. At this point the filets can sit, loosely covered, until you’re ready to finish your dinner.
- Place the marinade in the saute pan over medium heat and let it cook down for about 5 minutes. Place the mushrooms and the butter in the pan and saute the mushrooms until done. Keep warm.
- Place the filets in a roasting pan or similar. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Roast the filets until their internal temperature is 140 for rare, 150 for medium. This should take no more than 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them!
- Remove the filets from the oven and plate them immediately. If you let them sit in the hot pan they will continue to cook. Pour some sauce and mushrooms over each filet. If you’ve made potatoes to go with the meal, some sauce and mushrooms will be delicious over them as well. Enjoy!
If you don’t have a grill pan, a regular saute or frying pan is fine for browning/searing the filets prior to their trip to the oven.
I used the convection oven setting the first time I made this, with a probe that automatically measured the meat temp. It cooked in 15-20 minutes. With a regular oven setting, it takes slightly longer. I recommend cooking the meat to medium (150 degree) temp.
- Prep Time: 45 mins + marinating time
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: main course
- Method: roast
- Cuisine: beef
Keywords: filet mignon, beef, beef tenderloin, main course
I’ve always loved cooking, and spent many years working on the food & beverage side of the hospitality industry, which served to increase my interest in food, wine and entertaining.
I can smell it cooking right now and my mouth is watering! This looks so easy and sounds just wonderful. Definitely something I’ll be trying.
I love this marinade recipe. So rich and delicious! Steak is great but with mushrooms and this sauce it is next level.