Get Your Schnitzel Girl Weekly Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox!
In this weeks episode, we’ll be cooking something that sounds similar to Apfelkuchen, Zwetschgenknodel, Goulash or Krumpli. If this sounds good to you make sure to subscribe for the coming weeks recipes.
Italian style chicken thighs with zucchini
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This recipe is not “Old World” but it sure is yummy. I love boneless chicken thighs, and had some zucchini that needed to be used. After a little research, I came up with this dish and we loved every bite. Serve it over pasta, add a little red sauce, or just by itself with some bread. The more cheese, the better!
- 4 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 eggs
- Italian style breadcrumbs, OR panko breadcrumbs, season with Italian herb seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 Tbl (or more) vegetable oil or light olive oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup shredded (or grated) parmesan cheese
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 6–8 button mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed and halved
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Spread the seasoned breadcrumbs (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup) in a shallow bowl.
- Pat the boneless chicken thighs dry and season lightly with salt pepper.
- Break the two eggs into a separate shallow bowl and beat.
- Dip the thighs in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs. Press lightly to make sure the thighs are coated with breadcrumbs on all sides.
- Place the thighs on a plate and place in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- When the thighs have had their resting time in the frig, heat the oil in a saute pan. Saute the thighs in the pan on medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side, until nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove the thighs and place on a plate. Add a little more oil to the pan, then add the minced garlic to the pan and let brown for a minute.
- Place the sliced zucchini and the mushrooms in the pan and saute on both sides for about 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet, sprinkle some more parmesan over everything and heat through. Serve immediately.
I served this over tagliettelle with some jarred marinara sauce and it was delicious. You can simply serve it with italian bread, or any kind of pasta.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: chicken
- Method: saute
- Cuisine: Italian, American
Keywords: chicken, chicken thighs, saute, one dish meal, Italian
I’ve always loved cooking, and spent many years working on the food & beverage side of the hospitality industry, which served to increase my interest in food, wine and entertaining.