Chicken Tenders with Mushroom Cream Gravy
Just a few ingredients and a little time sauteeing at the stove, perhaps some steamed rice, and voila! A delicious weeknight dinner good enough to serve to company! I love chicken tenders – no need to pound a fat chicken breast into submission 🙂 This recipe is for two, can easily be doubled.
- 3–4 Chicken tenders (thawed if frozen), patted completely dry
- 4–5 oz button mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 Tbl butter (salted butter is ok)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place the chicken tenders you’ve patted dry on a plate, and sprinkle both sides with the Italian seasoning, salt & pepper.
- Heat 2 Tbl butter in a medium saucepan. Brown chicken tenders on both sides in the butter on medium high heat. Allow the tenders to cook for 3-4 minutes each side so that they are nearly fully cooked.
- Remove the tenders to a plate. Add 2 more Tbl butter to the pan, and add the mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cream to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium or medium low. Stirring occasionally, allow the cream sauce to cook down a bit, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tenders back to the pan, and let them heat up a little and get coated by that yummy cream sauce. Two minutes should do it. Check to make sure the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with rice and ENJOY!
Some people might consider cute as a button mushrooms boring, so if you want to do this with snobby gourmet mushrooms, by all means, go for it!
Be careful not to burn the butter. If you prefer to do half vegetable oil and half butter, that will work also. But everything is better with butter.
I’ve always loved cooking, and spent many years working on the food & beverage side of the hospitality industry, which served to increase my interest in food, wine and entertaining.