Get Your Schnitzel Girl Weekly Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox!
In this weeks episode, we’ll be cooking something that sounds similar to Apfelkuchen, Zwetschgenknodel, Goulash or Krumpli. If this sounds good to you make sure to subscribe for the coming weeks recipes.
I found an entire package of big beautiful button mushrooms that I had purchased at Costco and were left in the produce drawer, forgotten. It was time to test mushroom soup ideas, and not only was this recipe easy, it was very tasty. Hubby loved it, and he is a serious food critic!
- 2 cups button mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter
- 2 Tbl flour
- 6 – 8 (depending on size) spring onions, chopped (white parts only)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 t dried thyme (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- sliced sautee’d mushrooms for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the stick of butter until melted.
- Add the spring onions and cook on medium low heat, stirring often, until onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Add the flour and stir constantly until the roux is light brown.
- Add the mushrooms, turn the heat up slightly and continue to stir as the mushrooms release their moisture.
- Add the broth, the thyme and the bay leaf. Stir well and bring heat up again. Allow the soup to simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and allow the soup to heat thoroughly over medium low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with mushroom slices if desired.
Its best to use real butter (salted) and whole milk. 2% or skim milk will result in a thinner soup which won’t be quite as tasty. If you really like onions, substitute a small sweet yellow onion for the spring onions. I remove and discard the stems of the mushrooms and wipe the button heads with a paper towel to clean before chopping. You can keep the stems if you wish, but do not wash the mushrooms in water.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mushroom, soup, easy
I’ve always loved cooking, and spent many years working on the food & beverage side of the hospitality industry, which served to increase my interest in food, wine and entertaining.